Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Taco Pie

I am having one of those days (you know what I am talking about if you are the person in charge of making dinner). I need to go to the grocery store. I don't have anything planned for tonight. I am missing at least one major ingredient for all my good ole' stand by recipes. So, I went to allrecipes.com and found this recipe for taco pie. I changed mine quite a bit from the original recipe, so I will put my changes in parenthesis.



Ingredients:
1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated crescent rolls
1 pound ground beef (I used chicken)

1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream (since we only had about 10 ounces of sour cream, I just used 8 ounces so I would have some to garnish my plate)
( 1 {7 3/4 ounce} can El Pato Jalapeno Salsa)
8 ounces shredded Mexican-style cheese blend
1 (14.5 ounce) package crushed tortilla chips (I didn't really measure this. I just threw some on the top. Lots of people who reviewed the recipe on the web site said it was too salty, so I cut back here. I think I used 1-2 cups total.)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Lay crescent dough flat on the bottom of a square cake pan (I used a glass 13x9 inch pan-some reviewers said to spray a little cooking spray before putting the crescent rolls down) and bake according to package directions.
Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the taco seasoning and stir together well. When dough is done, remove from oven. ( I layered in this order: rolls, some of the cheese, the meat, sour cream mixed with salsa, crushed chips, then cheese.) Return to oven and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted.



This was a really good recipe. The El Pato is pretty spicy, so you could sub 8 ounces of your favorite salsa (or none at all) for that. I topped mine with some shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and more sour cream. Overall, it was a pretty yummy dish!


This recipe is also not very diet friendly. It has a lot of calories and sodium. If you want to lighten it up, you could use reduced fat crescent rolls, light sour cream, and low fat cheese.






No comments:

Post a Comment